Community-based Psychosocial Support – Training of Trainers
Copenhagen 4 to 7 October 2016
The Community-based Psychosocial Support training is the PS Centre’s foundation training for building the skills needed to provide psychosocial support. Participants will gain insight into aspects of the psychosocial impact of crises and disasters and acquaint them with psychosocial support activities and programming.
A training of trainers (ToT) workshop is recommended if there is little previous knowledge of psychosocial support in the National Society and a large number of people need to be trained.
This training prepares participants to facilitate the Community-based psychosocial support foundationtraining. It gives participants deeper insight into the content of Community-based psychosocial support – training kit, as the participants will facilitate parts from the modules in the training kit:
- Crisis events and psychosocial support
- Stress and coping
- Loss and grief
- Community-based psychosocial support
- Psychological first aid and supportive communication
- Supporting staff and volunteers
Additionally, the training introduces didactic and pedagogical teaching methods, enabling participants to conduct foundation trainings: organizing a training workshop; creating a safe and inclusive learning environment; what makes a good facilitator; different learning styles; facilitation techniques.
Participants will become:
- familiar with psychological and social reactions, needs and interventions
- familiar with a variety of interventions that are sensitive to local circumstances
- familiar with facilitation techniques and how to plan a training
- able to plan and adapt a training session and deliver it.
Dates, deadlines and other important information:
The training takes place in Copenhagen on 4 to 7 2016 from 9 to 17 all days.
Participants must be able to participate in the entire training, arriving the night before and departing from the training venue no earlier than 5 pm on the last day of training (earliest possible flight from Copenhagen is at 8 pm).
If you have questions, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application: 20 June 2016
Please note that we only accept applications submitted through the online system: Click here to go to the online registration form
Please identify the specific visa requirements for your country here:
The PS Centre is only able to provide limited support for visa application (letter of invitation etc.), and can only do so for applicants who meet the 20 June application deadline.
Target group and required qualifications
- Red Cross and Red Crescent staff and volunteers with a background in psychology, social science or social work, and/or experience from the psychosocial field, and/or a teaching/facilitation background.
- Participants should commit to facilitate a training session during the workshop and to have completed the required reading.
- Preferably the participants should have attended foundation/basic training in Community-based Psychosocial Support.
- Proficiency in English, ability to participate actively in English
- Good social skills, a strong interest in psychosocial support and a willingness to participate actively during the training is required.
- The training will be conducted in English so all participants must have sufficient English skills to participate actively in the trainng.
- Please note that priority is given to Red Cross Red Crescent staff and volunteers. Participants from other organisations will only be considered as exceptions.
The training is free of charge, but participants must cover their own expenses for travel, accomodation and per diem. Lunch and snacks will be provided during the training.
The required pre-reading must be completed before the start of the training, so each participant must dedicate up to a full day of preparation before the training.
Community-based psychosocial support – Participant’s book (required)
Strengthening Resilience (suggested)
Psychosocial Interventions – a handbook (suggested)
Categories: 2016 PS Academy trainings