Webinar: MHPSS for people in detention environments
From 11:00 to 12:30 CEST, 5 Apr, 2023
As everyone else, people living in detention environments have mental health and psychosocial needs. They are living in precarious situations, being far away from home, from family, friends, work, and from social networks.
Living in a detention environment can negatively impact resilience. In migration detention centres, additional factors can negatively impact people's mental health as there will be many uncertainties such as the length of the stay, worrying about family members, and eventual loss of hope for the future.
The webinar will have presentations from the Irish, French, Swedish, and Netherlands Red Cross as well as from Danish Red Cross Youth. The presentations will outline different approaches to working in detention settings:
- Community Based Health and First Aid in detention (Irish Red Cross)
- Support self-help for people in detention (Swedish Red Cross)
- Young volunteers as study-buddies (Danish Red Cross Youth)
- MHPSS actions in detention: from helpline support in detention to peer support and suicide prevention, what is the place for Red Cross MHPSS actions in the French prison environments? (French Red Cross)
- Life-skills in the Rotterdam detention centre for migrants (Netherlands Red Cross)
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out to Ea Suzanne Akasha, Technical Advisor, (firstname.lastname@example.org).